Sunday, June 6, 2010

Yummy Homemade Whole Wheat Bread

I baked some very yummy bread today and thought I would share the recipe with everyone.

Whole Wheat Bread:

Ingredients:
2 1/2 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 cup warmish water (not burning hot, but warm)
1/4 cup pure 100% maple syrup
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 soy, rice milk, or almond milk
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup gluten flour
2 1/2 - 3 cups whole wheat flour

Instructions: 
1.  Mix yeast, sugar, and warm water together and set aside for about 10 mins or until the yeast is done growing.

2.  In a separate bowl combine gluten flour, salt, and 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour.

3.  Once the yeast is done growing, add maple syrup, oil, and milk.  Pour into bowl of flour and start mixing.

4.  When it's nice a tacky start kneading the dough with your hands until it's all mixed together.  If it's still too sticky add a little extra flour (no more then 1/2 cup).

5.  Knead dough for a few minutes until it's nice and firm.

6.  In a large oiled bowl, roll dough around until it's completely covered.  Cover with a kitchen towel and set aside somewhere warm.  Let rise 1 hour.

7.  After letting it rise for an hour, knead dough again for 1-2 minutes.  Shape dough to fit into a lightly oiled bread pan.  Cover again and let it rise another hour.

8.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees, bake bread for 45-60min.

9.  Once bread is done baking, remove from oven and let it cool before trying to slice it. (I'm usually too impatient to let it cool, plus I like fresh WARM bread).

I hope those instructions make sense.  If you have any questions, just ask.

I didn't have time to bake my bread before I went out so once it was in the bread pan, I put it in the fridge and let it rise for about 4-5 hours.  When I got home, it was done rising and ready to be baked.

Tired of the usual berry jam on your toast?  Try this yummy MANGO jam I found in our local health food store.  It has a more subtle fruity flavor and sweet, but not nearly as sugary as most jams tend to be.

2 comments:

  1. I Love this recipe! It will be so perfect for our family because we love whole wheat and our favorite is Kamut! Plus, I like how you used rice milk since our son has severe food allergies and we have to avoid dairy. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like this recipe. I don't make it very often now as my husband and I like it so much we end up eating the whole loaf only a couple days.

    ReplyDelete